Lack of State Funding for the New Jersey Knowledge Initiative (NJKI) Ends Acess to Five Library Online Databases
Due to a decrease in state funding, the existing multiyear contract for RefUSA, Academic Search Premier, the Biomedical Reference Collection, Business Source Premier, and the Regional Business News has ended as of February 28, 2008 and these databases are not currently available.
The funding that has ended was for the New Jersey Knowledge Initiative (NJKI). The journal articles or data are no longer available through NJKI for the next four months. We hope and expect to have an NJKI program available in the '09 state budget to begin July 1, 2008.
We would appreciate your contacting the Governor's office:
- by mail at PO Box 0001, Trenton NJ 08625;
- by phone at 609-292-6000; or
- by email go to http://www.state.nj.us/governor/govmail.html,
- select “Commerce” as your topic,
- then “Small Business” as your sub-topic.
Please also contact your local legislators
- (Go to http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/legsearch.asp to locate their contact information)
to let them know what the NJKI databases meant to you in terms of helping you grow your business, conduct your research or earn your degree. We hope you will strike a positive tone as you urge the Governor and local legislators to resume supporting this statewide shared service that had 15 million uses over the past two years while simultaneously saving $68.5 million dollars over retail prices.
For more information please also check the NJKI website.