- All individuals who reside or own property in the Township of East Brunswick must use a valid library card or their mobile device with their valid library card barcode on it issued by the East Brunswick Public Library ("The Library"). Residents applying for and renewing an East Brunswick Public Library card must provide in-person, current proof of residence, or a current tax bill on property owned. All resident cards are renewable every two years.
- The Library issues a library card to a person from birth to 18 years of age only with in-person authorization by a parent or guardian, or to a student participating in a school class trip whose parent or guardian has granted permission via a completed library card application.
- Students from age 14 to 17 presenting a valid school ID may secure a provisional library card, which will allow borrowing privileges for three weeks. By the end of this period, the student must return a library card application with a parent or guardianâ€™s signature, or the card will be canceled.
How to Get a Library Card
How to Get a Library Card Kids/Teens
Check Your Library Account
Renew Checked Out or Overdue Materials
Request Materials that The Library DOES Own
Request Materials That The Library Does NOT Own
Return Library Materials
Notices via Email
Credit Card Payments
- Non-Resident Student
- Purchased Cards
All purchased cards are valid for one year from the date of purchase. Additional cards are issued to other family members residing at the same address for an additional $5 each.
- A "Print Materials" card entitles the purchaser and immediate family to borrow books, e-books and downloadable audiobooks, iPads, English as a Second Language materials, magazines, children's book and tape sets. The annual fee for this card is $75.
- A "Media" card entitles the purchaser and immediate family to borrow digital video discs (DVDs), audio books, e-books and downloadable audiobooks, iPads, compact discs, video games, and English as a Second Language materials. The annual fee for this card is $50.
- A "Full Service" card entitles the purchaser and immediate family to all of the materials, programs and services afforded a resident cardholder. The annual fee for this card is $125.
- A "Business Library Card" entitles the BRC member and current employee access to all the materials, services, and programs offered by the Library. One library card is issued to the BRC member's name and this card must be presented by current employees to access all materials, services and programs. The annual fee for this card is $175.
- Volunteers of East Brunswick Township
The Library issues full service library cards to non-resident students attending East Brunswick public schools, private schools in East Brunswick, or Middlesex County Vocational-Technical High School in East Brunswick as part of their high school curriculum. Cards issued to non-resident students are valid through the current school year ending August 31. The Library requires the student to provide proof of attendance to obtain a full service card.
The Library issues full service library cards to individuals who are regularly scheduled to work 20 or more hours per week in East Brunswick. Applicants must present a letter annually from his/her employer stating that he/she works 20 hours or more per week, and present a pay stub or cancelled check as proof of employment. Individuals teaching in public or private schools located in East Brunswick and Township employees are exempt from the 20 hours a week minimum schedule. Non-resident Township employees who are classified as "Seasonal" are not eligible for an East Brunswick Public Library card.
The library issues full service library cards to individuals who are current volunteers of the East Brunswick Township First Aid Squad or the Volunteer Firefighter's Squad. Individuals volunteering as either a First Aid Squad member (EMT) or a volunteer firefighter, for any amount of hours, must provide annually a current letter from the East Brunswick Township or Department where they volunteer, stating they are a current volunteer of the First Aid Rescue Squad or the Volunteer Firefighter's Squad.
The full service library card entitles the individual and immediate family to all the materials, programs and services afforded a resident cardholder. The annual fee for this card is waived as long as the individual is a current volunteer.
library catalog to see which materials you have checked out and when they are due back, to renew library materials, or see if your requests are ready for pickup.
You may check your account from the following locations:
- On the library's home page www.ebpl.org click on the Renew/Check My Account button in the site navigation on the left.
- On the library's homepage click on the Renew/Check My Account button underneath Catalog Quick Search.
- Click on the library catalog web page and click on the tab My Account Renew.
- Call TeleCirc, the library's 24-hour automated telephone account information and renewal system. @ 732-750-2965
- You will need your 14 digit library card number and your 4 digit PIN.
- All circulating materials, except Children's iPads and items on hold for another cusotmer, maybe renewed three times, either in person, online using the library catalog or by calling TeleCirc, the library's 24-hour automated telephone account information and renewal system @ 732-750-2965. You will need your 14 digit library card number and your 4 digit PIN.
To renew your items online:
- Click on the library catalog web page and click on the tab My Account Renew .
- Type your 14 digit librry card number and 4 digit PIN in each box.
- Hit <Enter> or click on Login.
- Under Account Overview click on Items Out
- Click on the box next to each item you wish to renew or you can click on the box in the blue area to renew all your items at the same time and then click on the Renew button.
- The new due date will be displayed next to each title.
- Note that fines will still be assessed for overdue materials until you renew. Also some materials may not be renewable, i.e items requested by other customers or Children's iPads.
For phone renewals please call Circulation at (732) 390-6950 or by calling TeleCirc, the library's 24-hour automated telephone account and information renewal system @ 732-750-2965. You will need your 14 digit library card number and your 4 digit PIN.
Customers may place their own requests by searching for the item they would like in the library catalog. New release DVDs cannot be requested. To request an item you will need your 14 digit library card and PIN. Then:
- Complete your search for the item you would like to request.
- Click on the Request Item button on the right side of the screen.
Important! - Use the Request specific copy next to each item in the list, ONLY when you want a specific copy. e.g. Fodor's 2005 or a specific magazine issue.
- Enter your 14 digit library card number and 4 digit PIN and hit <Enter> or click on the Log In button. (If you are already in your librry account you can skip this step.)
- Click on Request to confirm.
- A box appears "Request Confirmation" and then click the "Request" button.
- Click on Return to Searching or Logout and Return.
- Use Return to Searching when you want to place additional requests or need to check your account information.
- Use Logout and Return when you have completed your search session.
- Don't forget to protect your privacy and logout when you have completed your search session.
The Library accepts requests for titles which are not currently in the collection. If you can't find what you're looking for in the library catalog, you can:
Borrow the title from another library:
- Use JerseyCat from your home computer to request that The Library borrow the item(s) from another library; OR
Submit a Request that The Library purchase your materials:
- Request for Books -- request that the Library purchase books
- Request for Audiobooks -- request that the Library purchase audiobooks
- Request for DVDs
For additional help in requesting materials click on the Can't Find It tab at the top of the page when you are in the Library Catalog or call the Information Services desk at 732-390-6767.
On holidays in which the library is closed, all book & media drops are also closed. No materials are due on closed days and overdue fines are not charged.
When the library is closed due to inclement weather, all book & media drops are also closed. Overdue fines are not charged when the library is closed for the day, has a delayed opening or an early closing due to inclement weather. Fines are also not charged when the East Brunswick Public schools are closed for the entire day for inclement weather.
At all other times, the library's book & media drops are opened seven days a week, 24 hours per day. The library has 3 outside book/print material drops: 2 are located by the building's front doors and the 3rd one, a drive-up drop, is located by the exit to the library's parking lot. The library also has 2 outside media drops: one is located on the outside wall to the left of the entrance doors and the second one, a drive-up drop, is located by the exit to the library's parking lot.
Materials may also be returned inside the building.
The Library offer customers the convenience of the following notices via email:
- Hold Requests
- Pre Overdue Reminder notices - These are courtesy reminder notices for items coming due in 3 days (available via email only).
- Overdue notices
- Billing notices
To receive your library catalog notices via email:
- Login to your account in the library catalog with your 14 digit library card number and 4 digit PIN.
- Click on the My Account/Renew button.
- Click on Profile in the blue menu bar.
- Type in your email address in the Email Information section of the Profile form.
- Click Update.
- On the next business day library staff will update your account.
All notices will be sent to the email account that you supplied.