Computer Training at the Library
The Library's Computer Training Center has twelve PCs in a small room near the Information Services Department. Classes cost $5 per class for library cardholders and is charged to library accounts 24 hours before the start of each class. Non-cardholders may sign up for a class for a $10 fee, due at the time of registration. (Waitlisted registrants can pay when they get in to the class.) All classes are two hours in length.
The training schedule is published monthly, generally on the 15th of the month for the coming month.
Register for each class as it fits your schedule; there is no series of classes. Individual practice is essential to gain confidence in using a computer. The basic classes are offered on a regular monthly schedule. Specialized classes are offered occasionally.
All Microsoft Office classes are offered using Office 2010. The Library also uses Windows 7.
To register (Cardholders):
Check the Library Calendar for the schedule of training classes.
- Click on the event in the Library Calendar
- Click on the Sign Me Up link.
- Type in your library card and PIN numbers. [the system will then validate your information]
- Fill in the registration form with your first name, last name, telephone number and email address.
Please be very careful with this. Follow the format from the example on the form. Please provide both types of contact information, if available, so that we can easily get in touch with you in case of a change to the the class schedule.
- Click on the Register button.
- Print out your confirmation page or, if you provided an email address, the confirmation will be emailed to your account.
- Logout if you have finished your class registrations.
Call 732-390-6767 or visit the Information Services Desk for assistance with registration.
Non-cardholders must come in to the library in person to pay the $10 fee as they register.
Beginning with the February 2012 class schedule, fees for computer class registrations are NOT refundable, so please be aware that you are making a definite commitment to attend a class when you register. Managing all of the changes in customer computer class registrations has been a very large job and has required staff hours which the library no longer has. The library would ask that you think of this as a small donation for all of the hours that are put in to running the classes.
Waitlisted registrants will be notified by email and/or telephone as soon as there is a vacancy in a class. They will have 24 hours to respond to the notification. If they do not respond within that time frame, the next person on the waiting list will be notified. Once a commitment to attend has been made, that registration is subject to the same cancellation policy noted above. They do not pay unless there is a cancellation and they are admitted to the class proper.
Call the Information Desk at 732-390-6767 for more information.
The Library will provide proof of course completion for students to supply to their employers for any class taken. Library cardholders may obtain them from the website themselves after their attendance has been submitted to the database. To obtain:
- Log in to your website account by click on the Website Login button on the green bar.
- Supply your library card and PIN numbers in the form and Submit.
- Once your account information has been validated you will be returned to the website.
- In the drop down menu at the top of the page, click on My Event Registrations. A list of all registrations, future and past, will appear on the page.
- Once your attendance has been entered into the website database (this may take several days) a Professional Development Certificate link will appear below all completed classes.
- Click on the link.
- Your certificate will open in Adobe Reader.
- Click on the browser toolbar to email, print or save.
- Please use the Contact the Trainers form to submit your request for a certificate. Make sure that you supply all of the necessary information including your name, phone number and email address, and the name and date of the class that you took.
Contact the Trainers. If you want a reply, be sure to include your email address in your post.
How to Register for a class
Continuing Education Credits
Contact the Trainers
Suggested Training Paths
Test Your Computer Comptency
Check the Library Calendar for the schedule of training classes
- If you have little or no computer experience, begin your computer classes with PC Literacy I and II [see descriptions to see which you need to take].
- If you have PC Literacy II skills you may either start our Internet training series, Internet I, II, III, and IV OR you may begin the Microsoft Office series.
- If you would like to take PowerPoint, you MUST be COMFORTABLE using Microsoft Word and have the experience listed in the Prerequisites.
- If you have taken Internet I or have the equivalent experience, you may sign up for the Email Basics Series.
- If you have taken Internet I and II or have the equivalent experience, you may sign up for any of the advanced Internet or specialized computer training classes when offered.
Test Your Computer Competency
Test your basic computer skills before you sign up for one of the Library's computer classes. Humorously brought to you by the folks at Google, the page Send Your Parents a Tech Support Care Package assigns 5 different levels of computer competencies with instructional videos on each topic. Choose the videos that you think are the most needed and send the page to the recipient of your choice (or, just view them on the screen).