Defensive Driving Classes Set for October.
Defensive Driving Erase points and save money on insurance! NJ-Approved class taught by experienced police detective/accident investigator. Monday, Oct. 17 and Tuesday Oct. 18 at 6:30 p.m.
Participants must attend two consecutive evenings for credit. Course costs vary according to goal: $65 for a 2-point reduction on license and 5% insurance discount or $55 for just a 5% insurance discount. Application forms are available at the Circulation Desk or downloadable here. Checks should be made payable to E.B. Friends of the Library. For more information, call 732-257-2967 or email Fixaticket@aol.com.
eBooks are now available for the Amazon Kindle on ListenNJ.com
Library eBooks can now be borrowed for the Amazon Kindle on ListenNJ.com!
The library is pleased to announce that Amazon® Kindle now works with the library’s eBook collection! At this point not all library ebooks can be read on a Kindle, but Kindle users now have access to a collection of over 2,800 ebook titles that can be read on all Kindle devices or by using free Kindle apps for iPhone®, iPad®, Android™ and other mobile devices.
The process for checking out and downloading an ebook onto a Kindle or Kindle app is simple and does not require any additional software. The device must be registered at http://www.amazon.com in order to download ebooks from the library collectioni. Here is the process for checking out a library eBook for Kindle:
- Visit your library’s ‘Virtual Branch’ website at www.listennj.com and click on the image on the right hand side that says Now Available Library eBooks for Kindle
- Browse and check out a Kindle book.
- Click the Get for Kindle button. This opens the Amazon.com website. You may be required to sign in with your Amazon.com account if you are not already logged in.
- Select a Kindle device or Kindle reading app.
- Click the Get library book button and sync your device or app to download the book, or choose to send it to your device via USB.
- An active Wi-Fi connection is required for wireless delivery to a Kindle device. If your Kindle is not Wi-Fi capable or you do not have an active Wi-Fi connection, you can save the ebook file onto your computer, connect your Kindle to your computer with its USB cord and drag the file from your computer into your Kindle’s Documents folder.
Library ebooks can be checked out for a maximum of 14 days. After the checkout period is over the book will automatically expire- no need to return it. Books can also be returned before their expiration date by clicking the Return button under the Manage Your Kindle section of your Amazon account.Resource Link
Finding Available Jobs & Internships: Target Your Search With a Free Job Hunting Webinar!
Featuring Career expert, Heather Huhman
Wednesday, September 21st from 2:00pm – 3:00pm.
Determining where to start and how to find a good fit can be overwhelming. In this presentation Heather will advise how to find jobs and internships that will utilize strengths and skills, and provide professionals at any level with valuable experience. The tips and tricks Heather covers in this special presentation will help job seekers get hired.
- How to create a successful job search plan
- Where job seekers should really focus their efforts
- The best way to connect with target companies
- And much more!
Pre-registration is not needed.
Instructions on how to attend are available here: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/661269673Resource Link
Come to the Wellness and Lifestyle Fair
Wellness and Lifestyle Fair will be held at the Library and the Senior Center. Sunday, Sept. 25, 1 to 4 p.m.
October Computer Training at the Library
Get the computer training you need at the Library and update your skills this month.
Register now for the East Brunswick Public Library’s latest computer class offerings. October offers something for everyone with classes for beginners and more advanced students alike.
Beginners can register for our basic computer classes - PC Literacy I and II, and Email Basics Parts I and II. These classes are not offered on a regular basis, so be sure to take advantage of these offerings and register this month.
For More Advanced Users
More advanced users can sign up for the Microsoft Office suite of classes. This month we are offering two levels of Microsoft Word, four levels of Excel, and the introduction to PowerPoint. People who are new to Windows 7 can register for our Introduction to WIndows 7and master the new navigation and discover all of its new features.
Introduction to QuickBooks, Level II
In September we offered the first of the three part introductory series to the popular small business financial software. On October 15th we are following up with Level II. The QuickBooks classes are designed for individuals who are just starting out with QuickBooks and have a working knowledge of the Windows environment. QuickBooks Level II will include working with your accounts, recording sales information, handling payments, and, time permitting, entering and paying bills. The fee for the course is $50. Advance registration and prepayment is required. See the event in the calendar for the specifics on registration and cancellation.
Classes for October include:
- Excel Basics, Saturday, October 1st at 9:30 a.m.;
- PC Literacy I, Tuesday, October 4th at 7 pm.;
- Introduction to Windows 7, Thursday October 6th at 7 p.m.;
- PC Literacy II, Tuesday, October 11th at 7 p.m.;
- Excel II, Thursday, October 13th at 7 p.m.;
- QuickBooks, Level II, Sturday, October 15 at 9:30 a.m.;
- Introduction to Microsoft Word, Tuesday,October 18th at 7 p.m.;
- Email Basics Part I , Wednesday, October 19th at 2 p.m.;
- Microsoft Word II, Thursday, October 20th at 7 p.m.:
- Excel III, Saturday, October 22nd at 9:30 a.m.;
- Introduction to PowerPoint, Tuesday, October 25th at 7 p.m.;
- Email Basics Part II, Wednesday, October 26th at 2 p.m.;
- Excel IV, Saturday, October 29th at 9:30 a.m.;
All courses are offered using the latest Microsoft software - Windows 7 and Office 2010. Registration is required. All registrants should look at the class offerings carefully to insure that they have the necessary skills for each class. Most classes are two hours long and limited to 12 students per class.
There is a $5 fee for cardholders and a $10 fee for non-cardholders with the exception of the QuickBooks classes. Fees will be added to a cardholder’s account and paid for at the Circulation desk. Register at the Library, by phone or by going to the event in the website Calendar and clicking on the Sign Me Up link. Your library card and PIN numbers will be required. Non-cardholders must pay at the time of registration, i.e. registrations must be in person. For more information, please call 732-390-6767.
Showcase of World Treasures
Stop by for a whirlwind tour of some of the greatest sights and sounds from around the world during Showcase of World Treasures.
Sunday, September 18, 1-5p.m.
This wonderful, family event includes international food treats, world “treasures” to explore, stellar collections, music and dancing, arts and crafts for children and door prizes throughout the day.
The day begins at 1 p.m. with a welcome by Mayor David Stahl and a performance by the Chinese Orchestra. From 2:30 to 4 p.m. you’ll enjoy a wild array of cultural entertainment, including food, music, dancing and more. From 2 to 3 p.m. bring the kids by for some crafts (open to kids between 4 and 12 years old). Door prizes will be given at the top of each hour. Also make sure you visit the Library and enjoy the month-long exhibit on walls and in cases. This free event is sponsored by the East Brunswick Human Relations Committee and the Library.
EBTV East Brunswick High School 2011 Fall Sports Schedule
EBTV is scheduled to cover nine events in their entirety this fall. Each will be televised three times, and will be available as Video on Demand at www.ebtv3.org.
EBTV Producer, Dave Ambrosy produces EBTV coverage of EBHS Sports, in cooperation with Supervisor of Athletics, Frank Noppenberger.
played 9/9, v. Monroe
will be televised Sat, 9/10 @ 4 p.m.; Thu, 9/15 @ 8 p.m.; Fri, 11/25 @ 9:30 a.m.
played 11/24, Thanksgiving Day, v. Old Bridge
will be televised Sat, 11/26 @ 4 p.m.; Sun, 11/27 @ 8 p.m.; Thu, 12/01 @ 8 p.m.
played 9/20, v. Piscataway
will be televised Thu, 9/22 @ 8 p.m.; Sun, 9/25 @ 1 p.m.; Fri, 11/25 @ 12 p.m.
played 10/6, v. JP Stevens
will be televised Sat, 10/08 @ 4 p.m.; Sun, 10/09 @ 8 p.m.; Sun, 11/27 @ 2 p.m.
played 10/4, v. North Brunswick
will be televised Sat, 10/08 @ 2 p.m.; Wed, 10/12 @ 9 p.m.; Fri, 11/25 @ 4 p.m.
played 10/11, v. Piscataway
will be televised Thu, 10/13 @ 8 p.m.; Sun, 10/16 @ 4 p.m.; Sun, 11/27 @ 4 p.m.
played 9/21, v. Old Bridge
will be televised Sat, 9/24 @ 1 p.m.; Sun, 9/25 @ 4 p.m.; Fri, 11/25 @ 2 p.m.
played 10/3, v. Piscataway
will be televised Thu, 10/06 @ 8 p.m.; Sun, 10/09 @ 4 p.m.; Sun, 11/27 @ 12 p.m.
EBTV EBHS 2011 FALL SPORTS MARATHON DAYS
Friday, November 25th
- 9:30 a.m. Football v. Monroe
- 12 p.m. Girls’ Soccer v. Piscataway
- 2 p.m. Girls’ Volleyball v. Old Bridge
- 4 p.m. Boys Soccer v. North Brunswick
Sunday, November 27th
- 9 a.m. Boys’ Soccer v. St. Joseph’s
- 12 p.m. Field Hockey v. Piscataway
- 2 p.m. Girls’ Soccer v. JP Stevens
- 4 p.m. Boys’ Soccer v. Piscataway
- 8 p.m. Football (Thanksgiving) v. O. Bridge